Wednesday 14 August 2019

Summer 2019 episode 9 - 31st July - Murcia


Okay, so when I left you in the previous episode, I’d just scarpered from the Testivos de Jehova. I sat myself outside the Church of San Bartolomeo, fully intending to sketch the church as an act of penance, when I noticed a rather interesting statue right in front of it. Dios Mercurio, or the God Mercury as we call him. My first thought was that the Church was rather bidding against itself by having this statue outside its entrance, but then, thinking about it, I suppose that it’s the ecclesiastical equivalent of a Marvel comics/DC crossover. By the way, if you’re looking at the sketch, that thing sticking out in front of the statue is his caduceus. Ooh, Matron. That’s his wand – ooh Matron. Honestly, get your minds out of the gutter, please. The caduceus is the staff with two serpents wound round it which has since become an international symbol for medicine and medical help. As for the strange thing seemingly sticking out of his cheek, well, this was all part of a baseball hat and scarf combination which had been hung rather haphazardly around his neck.

I had a hankering to see the Plaza del Toros, which I noticed on the map. Yes, that’s right, a bullring. Now, let me try to explain my feelings about this. I have never been to a bull fight, and I never want to go to a bullfight. I understand that bull fighting is part of Spanish culture and tradition, but that doesn’t mean that I have to like it or condone it, because I don’t. But architecturally, I wanted to see the building – well, the outside at least. For me, a Spanish bullring is the closest modern descendant of a roman amphitheatre, both architecturally, and also in terms of the bloodthirsty spectacle provided. So I did walk along to it, and in terms of architecture, I can’t say that I was disappointed. It wasn’t easy to get a good vantage point to sketch it, and this was a standing up job.

I walked back towards the cathedral, and found a useful low stone wall to sit on while I sketched the bell tower, which you can see on the same page as the sketch of Mercury. Time was getting on by now, and a spot of lunch seemed to be in order. Cards on the table, food never forms an important part of my agenda whenever I’m on a sketching trip, and especially when the weather’s hot as it is here, then it tends to suppress my appetite. However, you do have to eat, and in this case I walked back down the Gran Via towards the bridge, then took a detour towards what I think was the Church of San Pedro, and this was surrounded by restaurants, as you can hopefully see from the sketch I made. I had a very nice slice of pizza with cheese and chorizo, and thus fortified, I headed back towards the river.

It was while I was walking towards an interesting Iron girder bridge that I noticed that something was sticking out of the river. Something huge. A closer look revealed that it is in fact a sculpture, of the head of a fish, and its tail sticking out of the river. I have to say that I rather liked the frivolity of it. I idly googled it when I got back to the casa last night, and found out that it is the Sardina del Segura – the Segura being the river – and it’s a tribute to the most famous ancient fiesta of the city, the Enttierro de la Sardina. It’s held every spring, and the literal meaning of Entierro del Sardina is the burial of the Sardine. And you thought my putative Fiesta del Propane sounded silly! I’m not making this one up. Apparently it is a mock funeral procession which ends with a symbolic burning of an effigy of a sardine to mark Ash Wednesday, the end of carnival and the start of Lent.

Well, I thought, how do you follow a giant, concrete sardine sticking out of the middle of the river? I’ll be honest, I didn’t have much of an answer when I’d finished the sketch. My modus operandi for a day’s sketchpedition is to keep going until my legs hurt, and then stop. It was about 3 o’clock and my legs were hurting, so I headed to the station. Where I swiftly found out that the next train to Alicante didn’t leave until 4. Well, such is life. I wasn’t in a huge rush, which was just as well because it was more like quarter past  by the time the train left the station.

Just one more thing worthy of mention. Only two of us got off the train at San Isidro. The other guy was ahead of me, and we both walked out of the station. Then he headed off in exactly the direction I wanted to go. Every turning I needed to make, he made exactly the same turning before me. As we approached the road with the Casa Me Duck I couldn’t believe that he walked into exactly the same street. Poor devil must have thought that I was deliberately following him. In fact, I wouldn’t have been surprised if he had preceded me into the gates of the casa, but thankfully he went into a house across the road, and so my brief, unwanted career as San Isidro’s own Senor Stalker came to an end.

Well, that’s it for yesterday’s Murcia trip. Not a lot happening on what has been a lazy, can’t be bothered to step outside the casa, day so far today. So I’ll see you again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copenhagen Episode Four

 Yes, I got safely home on Friday. Busy and knackered yesterday, but now I have a wee bit of time to finish it all off. So, welcome to the 4...