Wednesday 14 August 2019

Summer 2019 Episode 8- 31st July - Murcia


Right then, I know you’ve probably been unable to sleep for worrying about where I was going to end up going today. Well, fear not. All will be revealed. But not right this second. Firstly, though, today’s shoutout. This episode is dedicated to my grandchildren, Ollie, Mimi and Alfie. Grampy misses you loads.

So, today’s lucky winner was . . . Murcia! Yes, I could easily have gone to Alicante or Elche again, today, but in the end Murcia was the clear winner. Why? Well, you may remember that I visited Murcia last year, and it was only after I’d been that I realised I’d missed out on something while I was there. What’s that? I hear you say. (Go on then, say it.) Well, what do Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Alicante, Birmingham, Amsterdam and Stockholm all have, that Ieper, Kaunas and Madrid don’t? Yes, you’ve got it, trams. I’m not saying that you can’t have a good holiday without going on a tram, since I’ve done it several times. However the tram is usually the icing on the cake.

I set off from the Casa Me Duck at just after 9. I didn’t borrow the Smart this time, because it’s only a ten minute walk to the station. Bearing in mind how likely I am to burn, I borrowed John’s hat. Which was the cue for the sky to cloud over, and the sun to disappear, never to seriously threaten to break through until I returned back to the casa. All in all, though, it made for a very pleasant walking day. At one point the temperature was down to a bracing 25 degrees. And me without my scarf and gloves.

Unbeknownst to me, the new timetable for the Cercania line between Alicate and Murcia starts on the last day of the month rather than the first. My first clue that I could be in for a long wait was when I noticed that the Spanish for Waiting Room is Sala de Espera. From Latin and French I know that Espera is derived from the word for hope as well. Be fair, even in the 70s, British Rail never tried to get away with having a Hoping Room instead of a waiting room. Might have been a bit more honest, however, I digress. Still, at least the 50 minute wait at the station gave me the opportunity to make the first sketch of the day.

It takes slightly more than half an hour to Murcia by the train, but it’s a very pleasant journey, passing close by the mountains between Callosa de Segura and Orihuela. I was somewhat distracted by the lady who got on and plonked herself opposite me at Callosa de Segura. Judging from her somewhat homely appearance, her headscarf and her age, she might well have been called Senora Norabatti. She kept trying to engage me in conversation, despite the fact that I assured her “No hablo Espanol” at regular intervals. Actually, I say she tried to engage me in conversation, but actually no. She just wanted me to be an audience to her monologue, and didn’t seem to care in the slightest whether I could understand what she was saying. Come to think of it, I’ve taken part in Parents Evenings like that.

Having visited Murcia last year, I had a pretty good idea where to go when I left the station. Luckily the route took me over the River, then past the Cathedral, to the southernmost point of the Murcia tram network, the Plaza Circular – so named after the 19th century dramatist Juan Pablo Circular, best known for his riotous farce, “Toreador, Don’t Spit Upon the Floor” I believe. The Plaza itself is round, which is a bit of a coincidence, too, I suppose. The tram stop just around the corner thankfully had some benches, so it wasn’t really a hardship to sit and work on the tram sketch you can see as three trams went by. Time was getting on, though, and so I did photograph the actual tram I got on, in order to help me cheat to finish the sketch later on. I’ll come back to that.

So, having ridden on a tram network that I’d never used before, the day had already become a huge success for me. So the big question was what to do for a lap of honour. Now, on the Gran Via leading off from the Plaza Circular there’s a tourist information booth. If you know me, then you know I love tourist information booths and offices, because I love free maps. The one I had from this booth had, I noticed, numbers between one and the high 40s in blue circles liberally sprinkled across it, with the majority clustered between the Plaza and the cathedral. Each of these was supposedly a place of interest. So I set off to find as many as I could. To be fair, some of them are fantastic. If you’re in the centre of Murcia, you need a church and you don’t fancy the Cathedral, well, I can guarantee that you won’t be far from another church which might be more to your taste. On the other hand, though, some of them are, well, I’m not saying they’re not worth looking at, but I did walk past them three or four times before I realised they were there. So alright, I am saying that some of them aren’t worth looking at.

I stopped briefly in the Plaza Santo Domingo, where I made one of my favourite sketches last year, and almost immediately wished that I hadn’t. I was called over by a group with a little stand with the words Testivos de Jehova. You’re probably reacting to that word Jehova the same way that I did, and you’d be right. They were in fact Jehovah’s Witnesses. Now look, I have no quarrel with and would make no criticism of any religious group or religion, and I certainly haven’t got anything better to offer anyone. But I don’t wish to discuss it in detail in public when I could be sketching. The thing is, though, my Spanish just isn’t good enough to convey all of that, so I resorted to the universal language of scarper.

I shan’t lie to you, Dearly Beloved. I’ve had a terrific day, but my head is hurting. I’ve taken some tablets, but I think it would be best if I shut this down for tonight, and then took up the story again in the morning, when I’ll also post the rest of the sketches.

See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copenhagen Episode Four

 Yes, I got safely home on Friday. Busy and knackered yesterday, but now I have a wee bit of time to finish it all off. So, welcome to the 4...