Wednesday 14 August 2019

Summer 2019 Episode 6 - 29th July - San Isidro - San Felipe Neri - El Realengo


So we come towards the end of our first week, dearly beloved, and we’re all still in one piece. A small celebration is in order. Please raise your glass – I’ll have a sin alcohol cerveza while you’re there.  

Right, well when you’ve quite finished all this frivolity, then I’ll get on with some of mine. It was quite a busy morning in the Casa Me Duck. First of all, Russ was round again, and also the lady who does the cleaning on a Monday which is why we all repaired to the El Rekreo for breakfast. This time I made sure that the only way I could get olive oil onto my shorts would be with a great deal of care and effort. Well, as you know, care and effort are not two of my virtues, and so I managed to get through breakfast unscathed today.  

Towards the end of the morning the big event of the day happened. Shopping. Yes, alright, I know, I know. I’ve never looked on shopping as a leisure activity, and far less as a spectator sport. However, I do accept that sometimes it is a necessary evil. Fair play to Jen, she trusted me to find our way to Albatera, and the nearest Mercadona supermarket. Trust which was sadly misplaced as I headed off in the wrong direction, which meant that Jen had to take up navigation duties a lot earlier than she’d maybe expected. Wee made it to Mercadona, though. I can’t ever see that name without the UB40 song “Food for Thought” coming irresistibly to mind – ‘I’m in Mercadona etc. etc.’ I have to say, the young male shop assistants in Mercadona are every bit as helpful as their British counterparts, although sadly nowhere near as smart. We came in search of cider, for the pork dish we’re going to have in a couple of days. In the drinks aisle we asked one of them for cider, then, when he looked blank, for seedra. A smile of comprehension lit up his acned features, and he headed off to look in another aisle. We looked at the shelf beside us. It was there. We didn’t see the assistant again.  

Back to the casa, then, and we congratulated ourselves that we’d only forgotten one item. So we settled down to lunch, and then to wait for the worst of the afternoon heat to dissipate a little bit.
Talking to Jen about my issue with so many local churches being hemmed in by buildings, preventing a proper view, and offering no vantage point for sketching, she suggested that I might like to pay a visit to a little village called San Felipe Neri, pretty close by, where I’d have a far better opportunity of getting a comfortable vantage point to sketch a nice church. Fair play, she wasn’t wrong. In the sketch below you can see the church. According to a plaque on the church, if I translated it correctly, the church was completely renovated in 2014, and it’s certainly in pretty good nick going by the outside.

 Thus encouraged by the fact that the sketchpedition had already been a success, I decided to try for a double. Another of the numerous local communities is called El Realengo. Out of curiosity I googled the name, and it has a small variety of meanings, including free, ownerless, and idle. Much like my good self, when you come too think of it. It’s always struck me as looking similar in construction to San Isidro, and indeed when I googled it, I found that it was built mostly in the late 50s. Hence it has a ‘modern’ church, quite different from San Isidro’s, yet clearly dating from about the same time. I quite like it, and it wasn’t difficult to sketch.  

Back to the Casa from there, then. We did chew over the possibility of me taking off for the day tomorrow, but we’re going out for lunch, which actually suits me fine. I’m perfectly happy to keep taking these little follow my nose sketching expeditions in the afternoons for the time being. I’m not in the habit of doing shout outs, but I’d like to say a quick hello to my step dad and my Mum, who took the trouble to drop me a line earlier today to say how much they’re enjoying An English Fool Abroad With His Sketchbook. Well, they’re only human, after all.

 So that just about wraps it up for tonight. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copenhagen Episode Four

 Yes, I got safely home on Friday. Busy and knackered yesterday, but now I have a wee bit of time to finish it all off. So, welcome to the 4...