Sunday 5 November 2017

5) Czech Republic - Prague - Old Town


I read a guide book to Prague which said that Prague is a great walking city - true - and that walking through Prague for a couple of hours is like walking through a 3-D architectural history book. Once you've crossed the Charles Bridge from the Castle side, then you're pretty much in the Old Town. Narrow streets and a dazzling array of architectural styles make this one of my favourite areas of any city that I've visited.
Building in Prague Old Town
This building, for example, really isn't anything special, but it's typical of what you can find around any corner in the old town. I liked it, which is why I sketched it.
Prague Old Town
 Here's another one. Again, this building has no special purpose, but just look at it. It's a star. I liked framing it within the whole street scene too, which for me makes this a slightly better sketch than the one above.
Prague - Old Town - Astronomical Clock
 This astronomical clock, on the wall of the old Town Hall in the square in the centre of the Old Town is one of the best loved tourist attractions in the whole of Prague. It's pretty much always crowded, which is why the crowd make an essential part of this sketch.
Town Square - Old Town - Prague
If I'm honest I'm not really certain that the slight watercolour tints add anything much to this sketch, but you have to start somewhere, and by the time I got to Berlin in August I was able to produce some more confident line and wash work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copenhagen Episode Four

 Yes, I got safely home on Friday. Busy and knackered yesterday, but now I have a wee bit of time to finish it all off. So, welcome to the 4...